FOR NEW OWNERS
MAGAZINE WRITE UP
ON SHIRKOAK PARK
Woodchurch Pop-In Centre
For over 60s
& Local boot fair
THE HISTORY OF SHIRKOAK PARK
During the second world war it was decided that if Allied planes could be sited on temporary airfields in France. It would avert the necessity for planes to return to England for re -fuelling and re-arming. Furthermore, the planes would be closer to enemy lines and thus be in a position for quick early and unexpected offensives. Before embarking on such an idea it was decided to build a prototype ‘Advance Landing Ground’ (ALG) in England. So it was in 1943, at Woodchurch in Kent that the prototype ALG was constructed.. The area designated for the Airmen associated with this venture was adjacent to Shirkoak Farm. During this period, both the RAF and United States Airforce were stationed at Shirkoak. The ALG remained active until September 1944 when the
airfield was decommissioned and the barracks at Shirkoak disbanded
After the war this area adjacent to Shirkoak farm was converted into the M2 caravan park became known as Shirkoak park. Initially there were 67 holiday caravans and 13 residential caravans on the park, then in the mid fifties planning application was made for all 80 plots to be changed to residential use.
Shirkoak Park residents association first came into being in the early eighties and has gone from strength to strength ever since.